Please do NOT submit bugs to this forum, instead use expeccoALM at https://expeccoalm.exept.de

Error "No value for input pin ...."

Postby raven-coder » 27. Nov 2008, 12:32

Hello,

I´m in trouble because I´m receiving an error message and did not understand why. :roll:

I have already successfully modeled a couple of web scenarios to check some things on our portal. :)

Here is my problem: One of these tests was first running fine, but then I tried to execute some blocks in a loop. When I run the test the following error message occur In the second loop:

No value for input pin "search_pattern" of step "execute advanced search"

The pin "search_pattern" is a frozen value. So why there should be no value?

Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Raven
raven-coder

Re: Error "No value for input pin ...."

Postby admin » 27. Nov 2008, 15:21

raven-coder wrote:I have already successfully modeled a couple of web scenarios to check some things on our portal. :)

We´re happy to hear about your quick success ;)

raven-coder wrote:One of these tests was first running fine, but then I tried to execute some blocks in a loop. When I run the test the following error message occur In the second loop:

No value for input pin "search_pattern" of step "execute advanced search"

The pin "search_pattern" is a frozen value. So why there should be no value?

It seems that you are using the wrong pin type (normal pin) for your loop. When starting to work with expecco and the model-based test development It is important to understand the differences between the main pin types (only an extract):
  • normal and parameter pin are data input pins (located on the left of a step - they receive data)
  • output pin (located on the right - they pass data to other steps)
  • enable input pin (located on the top - trigger an activity)
  • enable output pin (located on the bottom - activated after the execution of a step is finished successfully)
The behavior of data input pins (normal / parameter) is defined amongst others by the attributes "Triggering / non-Triggering" and "Consuming / non-Consuming". A "normal pin" is "Triggering and Consuming" instead of a "parameter pin" which is "non-Triggering and non-Consuming".

:idea: Your problem seems to be
The first time your step was activated the value is removed from its input (your "normal pin" is consuming) and no longer available for later executions. When the step was activated again in your loop, the error message No value for input pin ... occurred.

:arrow: Solution
To change the corresponding pins in your loop to non-consuming click on a pin with the right mouse button and activate the checkbox "Parameter (Non Consuming; Non Triggering)". After that your loop should be running succesfully.

More information about pins could be found in our expecco wiki:
  • Pins are the data interfaces between steps
  • Input pins are used to read information from other steps, a frozen value or an environment variable
  • Output pins are used to pass data produced in one step on to another step

Enclosed a small example to illustrate the issue with consuming and non-consuming pins.

The input pin "withCount" is set to consuming (normal pin). The first time the step is activated the value is removed from its input (consuming) and no longer available for later executions. Thus the second time no value is available and the execution of the step will fail.

The input pin "withCount" is set to non-consuming (parameter pin). The first time the step is activated the value is read but not removed from its input (non-consuming) and available for later executions. Thus the value remains for the second time the execution won't fail.

We hope this fixes your problem and we could impart a little knowledge about pins and their usage.

Best regards,
expecco support team
admin
Site Admin

Re: Error "No value for input pin ...."

Postby raven-coder » 27. Nov 2008, 15:48

admin wrote::idea: Your problem seems to be
The first time your step was activated the value is removed from its input (your "normal pin" is consuming) and no longer available for later executions. When the step was activated again in your loop, the error message No value for input pin ... occurred.

:arrow: Solution
To change the corresponding pins in your loop to non-consuming click on a pin with the right mouse button and activate the checkbox "Parameter (Non Consuming; Non Triggering)". After that your loop should be running succesfully.

It´s magic, now the execution running smoothly as desired.

Thanks again!

Raven
raven-coder

Return to General Help