What is planned, coming soon, in the queue ?
New features in the next release(s).

Any possibility that ST/X will be open source sometime?

Postby garduino » 12. Dec 2008, 01:36

Hi Exept people:

One of the things I valorate a lot about dev tools I use is that they are open source, not because I want to take advantage of its sources (that really don't use much, more than in some specific projects) but as a warranty of survival if the company owner of the Smalltalk I use decide to stop its development. That was the case of Dolphin, by example.

Now, even I owe a Dolphin PRO license, I'm doing the most of my development work with Squeak, and considerating other options, were ST/X is now first on the list, but I've this big doubt about the long term availability (And I don't wants to losse a lot of dev time again), then wants to ask if Exept has some plans of release ST/X as complete open source in some point or will maintain it as now, free but closed source?.

Thanks in advance by any comment you can make.

Germán S. Arduino
Arduino Software

Re: Any possibility that ST/X will be open source sometime?

Postby glpunzi » 17. Aug 2009, 22:22

I suppose this question affects to all.

What will happen, If eXept, decides to not improve SmalltalkX or if eXept close his doors?

Could be interesting a clarification on this.

Re: Any possibility that ST/X will be open source sometime?

Postby cgittinger » 1. Dec 2009, 12:45

we do not plan to make librun and stc open source (*). The rest is already.

We do have an agreement here at exept that:
(1) if I (claus) am undable or unwilling to further support st/x, the rest of the team will continue or choose (2).
(2) if exept is no longer willing to or able to support st/x, we will publish the missing sources.

Hope this helps.

regards, Claus

(*) one reason is that some of our biggest customers have a "no open source" policy - believe it or not.

Return to Future