Questions about usage of the system and tools

application deployment

Postby eiwco » 22. May 2009, 08:47

Hi
I'm a smalltalk/x newbie.
I was trying to follow docs about "deploying an application" on my Windows XP notebook (smalltalk/x 5.4.2.1).
I set up source code repository using CVSNT and it's ok , I can upload my test application to repository.
I'm unable to define the project: I can't find "view" on my browser menu, and I can't find "project menu new" so that I can't create project to complete the deploying lesson.
Is there anybody who could help me?

Best wishes
Alessio Costantini
eiwco

Re: application deployment

Postby fiddle » 23. May 2009, 18:11

Alessio:
I am not sure what your problem is. As you can see in one of the images in the tutorial (http://live.exept.de/doc/online/picture ... ctView.gif) the "view" menu is the 4th entry in the menubar of the (new) system browser. What menu entries do you have in your browser? Can you post a screen snapshot of your browser window?
- fiddle
fiddle

Postby eiwco » 24. May 2009, 09:48

Yes, this is the problem: im my browser I have only these entries:
Browse
Find
Category
Class
Protocol
Selector
Debug

No "view" entry.

Alessio
eiwco

Postby fiddle » 24. May 2009, 15:10

Alessio:

You are using the old browser. In the ST/X Launcher go to the System->Settings menu, in the tree select the 'Tools' entry and make sure that in the right hand pane the tickbox "Use the New System Browser" is set (it problably isn't right now). While you're at it you might also ensure the new file browser etc. are enabled. Save and start a new system browser. That should do it. Make sure you save the image afterwards.

- fiddle

P.S. If you don't see the System->Settings menu, you should have a "Settings" menu at the top of your Launcher. In that menu select the "Tools" menu and tick the "Use the New Settings Dialog" tickbox. (If your Launcher doesn't update itself, restart the Launcher using menu item Tools->Misc->Reopen Launcher.)
fiddle

Postby eiwco » 25. May 2009, 21:07

Thank you very much for your help.
I tried to follow your instructions but:
-"Use the New System Browser" was already checked; I tried to unchek/check with no result
-I tried to re-install STX but it has been useless
Are you using Standard download of STX on Win XP too ?

Thanks , Alessio
eiwco

Postby fiddle » 25. May 2009, 21:25

Alessio:

Yes, I am using the standard download for ver 5.4.2. I am not sure what is happening here... I can suggest the following: let's see if we can start it by hand. If you open a new Workspace (Tools->Workspace in the Launcher) type:
Tools::NewSystemBrowser open
and select Do It (or type Ctl-D). This should open the new system browser for you. Does this work?
-fiddle
fiddle

Postby eiwco » 26. May 2009, 18:00

Yes, launching browser from workspace works.
eiwco

Postby fiddle » 28. May 2009, 05:34

At least you can be on your way with the deployment tutorial. I hope you'll eventually find out what's happening in the Launcher.
fiddle

Postby eiwco » 28. May 2009, 08:55

Thank you for you help.
Alessio
eiwco

Return to General Help