Questions about smalltalk/x and its class library

SSL support

Postby shakeshuck » 1. Sep 2015, 23:59

Hi, Newbie here... :)

Looking at the HTTPInterface Class docs, the last example needs the "SSL support package" to be loaded, but I can't find any mention of ssl, https, tls etc. in the System Browser.

Can you please tell me where to find this package?
shakeshuck

Re: SSL support

Postby jan_vrany » 7. Sep 2015, 14:13

The SSL support package is not part of the 'free' version. It might be possible to 'buy' it from eXept,
you may want to ask their sales people.

Other option is to write SSLSocket yourself using inline-C / FFI and call whatever library OS provides. This
is on my TODO list for a long time, but...haven't a real need for it so far so I never started...
jan_vrany

Postby shakeshuck » 8. Sep 2015, 12:54

Thanks, jan.

I can appreciate why you don't want to code what you don't need. ;) I wouldn't do it on principle. From what you say, the libraries exist so why write them again? IMO, there is way too much inefficiency in the programming world due to having to write stuff that must have been written many, many times before...

I did send an email to eXept regarding other matters, but as I haven't had a response for a week I'm not impressed with their way of working. I would hope anyone paying for support gets more attention than I have.
shakeshuck

Postby jan_vrany » 8. Sep 2015, 13:32

shakeshuck wrote:
I can appreciate why you don't want to code what you don't need. ;) I wouldn't do it on principle. From what you say, the libraries exist so why write them again? IMO, there is way too much inefficiency in the programming world due to having to write stuff that must have been written many, many times before...

Well, yes. But you know, we have such a saying: when two do the same thing, the result is not always the same.
Anyways, if I were to hack something up myself, I'd take Squeak's SSL plugin as a starting point. It should not be so hard...

shakeshuck wrote:I did send an email to eXept regarding other matters, but as I haven't had a response for a week I'm not impressed with their way of working. I would hope anyone paying for support gets more attention than I have.

Well, I cannot help you much here :-)
jan_vrany

Postby jan_vrany » 21. Sep 2015, 10:10

Just for the record, any conclusions regarding the SSL support? In case
I'd need that later...
jan_vrany

Return to Programming Help