[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
eXept User Forum • View topic - Extending the UIPainter ?
Some hack you just found and want to tell to others

Extending the UIPainter ?

Postby cgittinger » 4. Dec 2008, 12:20

Here is a question I got via mail from Jakub Reznicek in Prague:

I'm a doing a little project in SmallTalk/X and I've created a component for GUI. Now I'd like to add it into the Widget Gallery in GUI Painter but I do not know where to start - can you give me a hint please?

I've found some classes that might be somehow connected with UIPainter but nothing helped, for example:
Interface-UIPainter
UIPainterView
group&ungroup
groupSelectionWithLayout

and there are some widgets that I see in the gallery but If I change it, nothing happens.

Thanks a lot in advance, Jakub Reznicek, student CTU Prague
cgittinger

Re: Extending the UIPainter ?

Postby cgittinger » 4. Dec 2008, 12:21

cgittinger

Postby cgittinger » 15. Jan 2009, 14:15

By the way, something that might be very inspiring for some of you:

we do have a customer (Werner - are you reading this ?) who created an Editor for Factory-Control and Process-Monitoring GUIs (the stuff you see in the plants, with blinking valves, pipes, switches and so on).

He subclassed the GUI Painter, added many, many pages containing 100's of new widgets, icons and symbols. Most of his widgets are not inheriting from View, but from VisualComponent (which is more lightweight).

His widgets support valueholders to control almost any aspect of the look and feel (size, position, rotation, colors etc.). He also has a "special" valueHolder class, whose instances are directly connected to his factory-process variables. This allows for factory engineers to very easily create their own GUIs. In minutes, they drag&drop fancy process-visualizations.
cgittinger

Postby cgittinger » 7. Mar 2009, 10:57

...and, you will also find a modified UIPainter in our "expecco" product (pro version). There, you can create UIs and use them as steps of an activity diagram. In this setup, we have changed the UI-editor to connect widget value-holders to input- and output pins of an activity diagrams action-step.
cgittinger

Return to Tips and Tricks